Make 2018 your year to volunteer abroad, meet amazing people from around the world and leave a lasting impact in communities far from home. Projects Abroad runs a wide range of international volunteer programs in 30 countries around the globe and we can help you find the perfect program. Find out what you can do by looking at the programs we offer, and if you have your heart set on volunteering in Africa, Asia, Latin America, Europe, or the South Pacific, explore the countries where we work.
When you volunteer overseas with us:
- Start and end your project whenever you want
- Decide how much time you can commit. You can volunteer abroad anywhere from one week to a full year
- Become part of a global network of volunteers from around the world
- Our trained and resident staff members will ensure that you have all the backup and support you need as an international volunteer
We have volunteer service trips to suit everyone, no matter your age, background, or experience. Most of our projects are open to anyone from age 16 to 75+, but we’ve also put together some unique programs for students and older volunteers.
International Volunteering for High School and University Students
Thousands of the volunteers who travel with Projects Abroad every year are high school and university students. Each student is different and we want to help you find the program that fits you best.
If you prefer to be more independent, think about joining a standard volunteer abroad or international internship program. If you’d like share the experience with other volunteers starting at the same time, or if it’s your first time traveling abroad, we recommend signing up for a group trip. All of our group trips have fixed dates, and you can choose from a range of start dates throughout the year. We also offer several gap year options, from a set gap year volunteer program, to customizing your own gap year.
Here are the best group trip options for students:
- Students between the ages of 15 and 18: Our High School Specials take you to a different country from anywhere between 1 and 4 weeks to do volunteer work. We offer trips in the summer, spring, and winter, and you’ll have constant support and guidance from our staff throughout your time abroad.
- Students older than 18: Our 19+ Specials are ideal for anyone older than 18 who wants to travel and work with other volunteers. Everything is organized for you, from a busy work schedule to social activities and weekend trips. You’ll also have a lot of support from our staff.
- Spring Breakers: We recommend our Alternative Spring Break Trips for any college student looking to break away from the beach and do something different. Our spring break group trips make the most of the short break and dates coincide with most major universities across North America.
Volunteering Overseas for Older Volunteers
Every year, we see more older volunteers taking the leap to volunteer abroad. Service trips are for everyone and our experience has shown us that older volunteers have a lot to offer.
Our standard programs and Projects for Professionals are perfect for older volunteers. You work independently, but our staff are there when you need them and you can chat to them about how to best apply your skills and experience to your project.
If you are interested in volunteering overseas with a group close to your age, explore our Grown-up Specials. These are group trips for anyone over the age of 50 who wants to travel and get actively involved in community-based volunteer work.
Other International Volunteering Options
Curious about traveling and volunteering at times other than over the summer? We have several options available. You can join a standard project at any time – you just need to let us know when you want to go when you apply!
We also have group volunteer trips running in spring and winter. Easter Week Specials run in March and April and are ideal for families, friends, and individuals. If you are looking to volunteer over the Christmas and New Year holidays, our Winter Break Trips are a great option for volunteers of all ages. Those interested in volunteering abroad in the fall can take a look at our standard programs.
Volunteer Service Trips with Projects Abroad
As a leading global volunteer organisation, we are committed to developing and running sustainable programs in developing countries worldwide. We help communities stand on their own feet, working with them to assess and meet their needs.
Need help deciding which program is best for you in 2018 or further in the future? Get in touch with our Program Advisors by sending an email or giving us a call. You can also chat with our advisors online.