At a glance
Travel to the Monteverde Cloud Forest on your Semester Abroad! During this Field Semester, engage in hands-on conservation projects while exploring diverse ecosystems, majestic volcanoes, serene beaches, and Costa Rican culture.
Study hard, play hard - your semester, your way!
- Live in the natural beauty of the Monteverde Cloud Forest among sloths, monkeys and tropical birds
- Travel from the Caribbean to Pacific Coasts alongside like-minded students
- Get out of the classroom and into the field through our unique blended learning model
- Earn 15 credits over your 15-week semester
- Open to all majors
- Download Field Semester Guide
Fall & Spring SemesterSee Dates
College student or recent graduate
Join our Transformative Study Abroad Program in Costa Rica
Field Semester: Sustainable Development & Environmental Studies
Experience thrilling excursions, integrate with the local community, gain skills in conservation from hands-on fieldwork, and have the semester of a lifetime! Our Field Semesters blend classroom learning with learning in the field, providing you with a uniquely engaging experience abroad.
Picture yourself with like-minded students in the middle of a pristine cloud forest, putting learning into practice by furthering conservation and sustainability efforts in one of the most biodiverse countries on Earth.
Sound like what you’ve been searching for? Speak with an Admissions Advisor today.
Applications & Dates
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis until the Admissions Deadlines listed below. You’re encouraged to Apply as early as possible to secure your place – it’s completely free!
- Travel Dates:
- Fall 2024: September 2, 2024 - December 15, 2024
- Spring 2025: January 27, 2025 - May 11, 2025
- Admissions Deadlines:
- Fall 2024: June 2, 2024
- Spring 2025: November 2, 2024
Tuition for this program earning 15 credits is $23,550. This program fee includes the following:
- Shared student cabins and a short-term homestay with a local family
- Daily meals and snacks during programming
- Hosted excursions, cultural activities, and social events throughout your program
- Transportation during programming, unless otherwise noted
- Official Transcript with 15 credits
- Emergency Evacuation & Repatriation Insurance
- 24/7 On-site support
- Airport pick-up/drop-off
- Pre-departure admissions, travel, and visa support
- Minimum 2.5 GPA Required
- Currently enrolled in university or recently graduated (within the past academic year)
- ***No Spanish language experience or prerequisites required***
The Projects Abroad Model
For over three decades, Projects Abroad has been the world's trailblazer in meaningful and impactful international projects. Leveraging our rich legacy in real-world impact, we are pioneering a new chapter in global education, blending our extensive experience with a transformative educational approach.
Hands-on Impact through Fieldwork
We prioritize creating tangible change from the moment you arrive. Distinct from traditional educational programs limited to classroom settings, our approach is deeply rooted in fieldwork and hands-on impact. Here, you're not merely an observer - you're a contributor to meaningful community projects right from the start. Whether you’re collecting data, engaging community stakeholders, or getting your hands dirty in reforestation initiatives, you’ll not only develop a multifaceted approach to sustainability but positively contribute in the process.
Travel and Adventure as a Learning Tool
On your Field Semester, travel is not merely an additional feature - it's an integral component of your educational journey. Our courses are thoughtfully designed to include touring and exploration, enabling you to experience diverse ecosystems and cultures firsthand. This immersive travel experience is seamlessly integrated into your curriculum, providing a holistic understanding of each subject area. We also strongly encourage you to travel independently to experience all that Costa Rica and studying abroad has to offer!
Holistic Education for All Majors
We’re revolutionizing learning by employing assessments as tools for real-world impact, catering to all academic majors. The era when such programs were solely for Natural Science Majors is over. Whether your focus is sciences, humanities, or business (or anything else!), our programs are specifically designed to develop you into a globally conscious citizen, fully aware of your role in an interconnected world, regardless of your major.