Become a marine conservation volunteer and explore the world beneath the waves. You’ll learn just how important marine life is, while experiencing the beauty of our oceans with like-minded volunteers.
Marine conservation volunteering with Projects Abroad helps you protect the underwater way of life and everything that goes with it. So whether you’re into sea turtle conservation, or determined to rid the ocean of plastic pollution, we’ll work together to make it happen. Our combined conservation efforts will do things like keep those underwater coral reefs blossoming all year-round!
This is what you can expect to do through marine conservation volunteering:
- Work with marine biologists, environmental scientists, and people from the local community
- Receive PADI Diving Course training and participate in plenty of diving opportunities for volunteers
- Collect data and do scientific research
- Get hands-on marine conservation work experience
We have different marine volunteering abroad programs around the world, from the Belize Barrier Reef, to the stunning blue waters of Thailand. They all focus on an important part of the ecosystem in the nearby surrounding area. Our programs are ethical, safe, and hassle-free, so all you need to do is focus on protecting marine life for future generations!
We’re here to help you choose the project that lets you pursue your passion for animals and nature. Are your interests drawing you more to savannahs and rainforests? We also offer Wildlife Conservation Projects.
Since we know that going abroad comes at an environmental cost, we started our own Carbon Offsetting Initiative. If you book your flight through our dedicated travel team, we'll offset the carbon from that flight by planting mangroves on one of our Conservation Projects.
Choose a Marine Conservation Program
1-3 of 9 Projects
Sea Turtle Conservation in MexicoSee this project
- Completely flexible dates
- Anyone aged 16 or over can join
- From 1 week
- From $2,470 USD
Sea Turtle Conservation in Mexico for Spring BreakSee this project
- Fixed dates during spring break
- Anyone aged 18 or over can join
- From 1 week
- From $1,770 USD
What skills will I gain from marine volunteering abroad?
Besides having a positive impact for the environment and local community, you’ll also develop some of your own skills.
These are some of the skills you can learn through marine volunteering abroad:
- Global competencies like teamwork, communication, leadership, resilience, organizing, planning, and time management
- Work experience and knowledge of practical Marine Conservation and environmental sciences
- PADI Open Water and Scuba Diving certificates
- Become a Divemaster on our Marine Conservation Projects in Fiji and Thailand
- The ability to work and empathize with people of different cultures and backgrounds, helping to develop a ‘global mindset’
- Confidence from pushing past your comfort zone
All of the above will enhance your personal development and your resume.
I chose to do my university dissertation in Mexico with Projects Abroad. I was looking at the effect that artificial hatcheries had on baby hatchlings compared to that of nests left in natural conditions. All the staff at the camp were extremely helpful with my data collection and even allowed me to use specialist equipment to measure nest temperature. I couldn’t have asked for anything better and now have substantial data to base my 10,000 word project on. - Jennifer S, Sea Turtle Conservation in Mexico
Why is marine conservation important?
With so much plastic in the world's oceans, we need to make a real effort to protect marine life. Ocean pollution, along with overfishing, threatens already endangered marine animals. Interested in learning more about plastic volunteer programs? Read more about the projects where we actively work to remove plastic from the environment.
It’s easy to sit back and think someone else will take care of the environmental problems, but we have to make small changes happen with our own hands.
Not quite what you’re looking for?
Take a look at the following pages where you'll find collections of similar projects: