Projects Abroad has over 20 years of experience of arranging the flights for volunteers around the world. Searching for flights online can be a time-consuming, overwhelming, and frustrating process – let us do the work for you!
We can help you book the best return flights, making sure you have the safest, most convenient, and cost-effective flight options, no matter how complex your travel plans.
Benefits of booking flights through Projects Abroad
Our experienced travel team offers a personalized service, drawing on decades of arranging flights for thousands of volunteers to countries around the world. Our staff have in-depth knowledge about the countries where we work and know the best ways to get you where you need to go!
Here are just some of the benefits of booking flights with Projects Abroad:
- This is a highly personalized, speedy, and efficient service and our staff take all of your specific needs and concerns into account
- We use safe and reliable scheduled airlines
- We look for changeable tickets whenever possible
- We arrange transfers and connecting flights automatically
- We keep you up to date with all the important details – timetable changes, overnight stops or delays, baggage allowances, and time-zone and date changes
- We choose sensible routes and layover times
- We will always try to put you on the same flight as at least one other volunteer (this is useful if you are a first-time traveler, especially on our High School Specials for teens)
- Some of the countries we work in are small and have specific airports that cannot be booked online. Our staff are able to book the exact airports you need to fly to.
- We offset your carbon footprint by planting mangroves on one of our Conservation Projects for every international flight booked through our travel team
- If you want to travel independently before or after volunteering, we can help you book flights to wherever you are going, anywhere in the world
- All volunteers traveling with us also have access to a 24/7 emergency phone number.
How does it work?
Booking flights has never been more convenient or stress-free. With Projects Abroad planning your flights, keeping an eye on all the details, and offsetting your carbon footprint, you have more time to focus on other preparations for your trip.
This is how it works:
- When you apply with Projects Abroad, you select the flight option on the application form
- You are accepted into your volunteer program
- We send you a flight itinerary and price
- If you would like to make changes to the itinerary, let us know and we will send additional itineraries until we find just the right one for you
- Once you take your international flight, we'll plant 6 mangroves at one of our Conservation Projects for every 1000 kilometers traveled
If you have further questions about booking flights with us, check out our Travel FAQs section below or get in touch with us directly.
We can find the travel options that meet all of your personal needs. Book your flights today with Projects Abroad.
Frequently Asked Questions about Flights
Here are the most frequently asked questions about booking flights with Projects Abroad, along with our answers. If you need to know anything more, please feel free to get in touch with us. We will email back quickly or we would be happy to speak to you directly.
What is my destination airport?
You can find your destination airport for each project below. Please note in some destinations you can choose to fly to an alternative airport for an extra fee.
- Argentina: Cordoba (COR)
- Belize: San Pedro (SPR) or Placencia (PLJ)
- Cambodia: Phnom Penh (PNH). You can also fly to Siem Reap (REP) for an extra fee.
- China: Chengdu (CTU) or Shanghai (PVG)
- Costa Rica: San Jose (SJO)
- Ecuador: San Cristobal (SCY)
- Fiji: Nadi (NAN)
- Ghana: Accra (ACC)
- Jamaica: Kingston (KIN) or Montego Bay (MBJ)
- Kenya: Nairobi (NBO)
- Madagascar: Ivato (TNR)
- Mexico: Guadalajara (GDL)
- Mongolia: Ulaanbaatar (ULN)
- Nepal: Kathmandu (KTM)
- Peru: Cuzco (CUZ) or Puerto Maldonado (PEM)
- Philippines: Mactan-Cebu (CEB)
- Romania: Bucharest (OTP)
- Samoa: Faleolo (APW)
- Senegal: Dakar (DKR)
- South Africa: Cape Town (CPT) or Polokwane (PTG)
- Sri Lanka: Colombo (CMB)
- Tanzania: Kilimanjaro (JRO) or Arusha (ARK)
- Thailand: Krabi (KBV). You can also fly to Phuket (HKT) for an extra fee.
- Vietnam: Hanoi Noi Bai (HAN)
If I can’t fly non-stop, will I have enough time for my connecting flights?
Yes. Our travel team only books flights with connections guaranteed by the airlines. If there are weather-related or other delays, you will be booked on the next available flight. If that happens you should call our in-country emergency number to let us know when to meet your new flight at the airport.
What if I need to change my flights?
No problem! All you need to do is contact our travel team and they will make all the necessary changes on your behalf. Changing your flights will incur penalties and possible a fare difference. We’ll let you know the exact amount before finalising any change.
What will my baggage allowance be?
The amount of luggage you can take with you depends on each airline and booking class. Our travel team will let you know the allowance while working on your flight itineraries.
Can I choose my seats?
Maybe. This depends on the airline you are flying with. Some allow pre-arranged seating while others don’t assign seats until the day of the flight.
How do I pay for my flights?
You can pay for your flights through PayPal or with a credit/debit card through your Myprojectsabroad webpage. Since bank transfers take up to 3 days before reaching our accounts, we strongly recommend the payment via PayPal or a credit card.