Our Global Gap Year program is an organized group trip designed for students taking some time out before, during or shortly after college. It is Projects Abroad's most comprehensive program available. Over the course of 29 weeks, you will circle the globe, traveling to 5 countries across 3 continents with a group of like minded individuals. We provide 24/7 staff support in each country and take care of all the details from excursions to volunteer placements. All you need to do is focus on the experience!
The program begins in September and concludes in April. Over the holidays, you will have a short break where you can explore the region more extensively, go on an independent trip or even have your friends and family visit.
Global Gap Year Itinerary:
- 25 September 2021 - 1 October 2021: Global Orientation in Ghana
- 2 October 2021- 29 October 2021: Childcare and Building projects in Ghana
- 30 October 2021 - 17 December 2021: Woman's Empowerment and Maasai school support in Tanzania
- Winter break starts 18 December- 2 January
- 2 January 2022 - 29 January 2022: Medical, Conservation and Education in Nepal
- 30 January 2022 - 26 February 2022: Microfinance in Cambodia
- 27 February 2022 - 16 April 2022: Community and Teaching in Peru
Your program fee is all-inclusive and covers:
- Food and accommodation
- All project fees
- Medical and Travel Insurance
- Transfers to and from the airport in each country
- All program related transportation
- Various sightseeing tours and activities in each country
Global Gap Year Program Fee:
Early Bird Special: $18,500 USD, for those who secure their slot with a deposit by February 28th, 2021.
(Standard Fees: $21,100 USD)
Deposit: $800 USD
The program fee does not include flight costs, however, we will work directly with you to book all flights for the program.
Estimated Flight costs: $4,000-$5,000 USD
Please contact us directly for more information or if you would like to sign up for our Global Gap Year Program
Food and Accommodation
Throughout your Gap Year, you'll stay in both host families and shared volunteer accommodation.
While with host families, you will be welcomed into their home, eager to share their customs and have you teach them about your own culture. We will always try to let you live alongside at least one other Projects Abroad volunteer or intern at the same host family. We believe that this is an amazing way to immerse yourself into a culture and create close bonds with locals.
Shared volunteer accommodations are a great way to get to know your fellow volunteers, share experiences, and explore your surroundings in your free time together.
Your rooms both with host families and in shared accommodation will be modest, but comfortable, clean, and safe. Your program fees include three meals a day.
Find out more about our accommodation.
Is a gap year abroad in 2021 right for me?
If you are a student interested in the opportunity to:
- Take a break and explore the world before heading to university
- Use your gap year to decide what you want to study and discover what field is a good fit for you
- Become more focused and grow as a person through travel
- Get a deeper insight into global issues and challenges
Then our 2021 Global Gap Year program is for you. It’s a way for you to do something worthwhile and exciting before taking the step to higher education.
You’ll get to travel the world and experience different cultures. As a volunteer, you’ll work to address the needs of local communities while immersing yourself in a new way of life. You’ll gain hands-on experience in a range of different fields, from Conservation to Childcare.
You don’t need any previous experience to join our Global Gap program. You’ll be supervised by local staff and receive a comprehensive introduction for each placement.
Gap year travel with a group provides you with a great support system and you’ll make friends for life. Our staff are also available to help 24/7 in each country, so that you can enjoy a hassle-free time abroad.
This trip takes place on fixed dates between September and May each year, and is open to all gap year students looking for a once-in-a-lifetime experience.