What types of volunteering opportunities are available for older adults?
Interested in short-term volunteer work overseas for over 50s with a group? Then our Grown-up Specials are for you. You’ll work with a group your own age to accomplish a goal in a short period of time, and you’ll arrive and leave at the same time.
If you are seeking a more flexible volunteer vacation for seniors, check out our Flexi-Trips. Here you'll work more independently, but still have the support of our staff. These trips run year-round, and you can join when you want.
Interested in hearing more about the kinds of international volunteering opportunities for older adults? Read our popular article featuring our best volunteer abroad programs for older adults.
Am I too old to volunteer abroad?
Of course not! Every year, we welcome numerous individuals to volunteer abroad over 50 years old. There's no age or limit to what you can discover, and your contributions and life experience will be greatly appreciated. In many cultures, advice from older individuals is received even greater.
Our volunteer abroad programs for over 50s offers a variety of projects that are a great fit for retirees looking for a new interest, and older professionals interested in a career break. Remember, it's never too late to take a gap year!
We also tailor your project to maximize the impact of your expertise and experience on the ground. Over 50s volunteering overseas can make a huge impact, even on short term volunteer placements.
Our Project Experts are here to help you find a project that matches your skill set or passions. Read more about our approach to professional volunteering abroad.
How can I make a difference on a volunteer opportunity abroad for seniors?
As an older volunteer abroad, your skills and professional experience will be invaluable to the communities we serve. All of our projects are tailored to your personal interests and capabilities. Some of the activities you can do on a project with us include:
- Work with children and help them learn critical early childhood development skills on a Childcare Project.
- Help build schools, toilets, or playgrounds on a Building Project. This is a great way to get your hands dirty and see tangible results in a short time.
- Help with conservation efforts at a Conservation Project, like animal rehabilitation in the Amazon Rainforest or reforestation in the Galapagos Islands.
If you’re a qualified volunteer interested in using your skills and qualifications to help, we have opportunities available for:
- Physical Therapists
- Lawyers, attorneys, advocates, and human rights professionals
- Business professionals and consultants
What's included in my project?
We can take care of planning the details before and during your trip thanks to our hassle-free approach. All you need to do is focus on what’s important: using your time, energy, and skills to actively make a difference.
On our over 50 volunteer travel placements, you don’t need to worry about:
- Arranging meals and accommodation
- Organizing your placement
- Getting picked up and dropped off at the airport in-country
- The cost of traveling to your placement in-country
We also provide visa advice and we can take all the stress out of booking flights. If you book flights through us, we’ll always book changeable tickets to your destination, with the shortest and most convenient layovers. We'll also offset the carbon from your flight by planting mangroves when you book your flights with us.
Choose a Volunteer Program
1-3 of 196 Projects
Giant Tortoise & Sea Lion Conservation in the Galapagos IslandsSee this project
- Completely flexible dates
- Anyone aged 16 or over can join
- From 1 week
- From $2,970 USD
Medical Internship in PeruSee this project
- Completely flexible dates
- Anyone aged 18 or over can join
- From 4 weeks
- From $3,460 USD