International Volunteer Opportunities
Join one of our international volunteer opportunities and make the most of your time abroad by supporting local people, protecting endangered environments, and more on a volunteer abroad program. If you are interested in self-improvement and adding new skills to your résumé, choose one of our international internships.
We offer international volunteer opportunities in Asia, Africa, the South Pacific, Latin America and the Caribbean, and Europe. Tell us what you want to do, where you want to do it, when you want to travel, and we take it from there!
Choosing the Best International Volunteer Program for You
A trip with Projects Abroad gives you a way to actively contribute to sustainable development and invest in yourself personally, from meeting new people from every corner of the world, to experiencing life outside America. We have hundreds of international volunteer programs across the globe to help you do this.
Here are some of the best volunteer programs for getting directly involved:
- Work with children and contribute to their development
- Uncover ancient civilizations and explore excavation sites on an Archaeology Project
- Build facilities like classrooms, toilets, or playgrounds
- Work at a national park or reserve and protect endangered wildlife and environments
If your interest leans more toward getting practical work experience in a field of your choice, opt for one of our internships abroad. Picture yourself:
- Shadowing doctors and nurses in busy hospitals
- Observing vets as they conduct surgical procedures at animal clinics
- Tackling law and human rights issues head on
- Helping budding entrepreneurs launch businesses on a Microfinance Internship
Make this the year you challenge yourself by traveling abroad as a volunteer.
Requirements for International Volunteering Opportunities: Something for everyone
The requirements of our international volunteering opportunities are simple: if you want to help people or the environment, or learn new skills for your résumé, and you are itching to explore the world, you are eligible to join us.
We have numerous international volunteer opportunities to suit different age groups and backgrounds. In addition to choosing what to do and where to go, you can also specify when you want to start and end your travels.
International Volunteer Opportunities for High School and College Students
Students represent a big part of our volunteer community, so we have several travel options available for students in high school and college. We encourage independent and experienced travelers to explore one of our standard programs, which are available to anyone from the age of 16.
If this is your first time traveling abroad or you want to be with others all the time, we recommend joining a group volunteer trip that fits your age group. These trips have fixed dates, so you can choose the dates that best fit your plans and schedule, and everything from volunteer work to weekend trips is organized for you. Here are our favourite group trips for students:
- High School Specials for ages 15-18: Volunteer with other teenagers on a program of your choice in a country you pick from between 1 and 4 weeks. We run High School Specials during the summer, spring, and winter, and we make sure you have constant support and guidance throughout your trip.
- 19+ Specials for ages 19-25: Travel with a group of students your age and live and work with them for 2 weeks. Like High School Specials, you have daily support from staff, and cultural activities and weekend trips are organized.
The Best Volunteering Opportunities for Older Adults
We have seen an increasing trend of older adults venturing out to help, learn and explore as volunteers. Young or old, everyone has something to contribute and we are firm believers in the ability and experience of our older volunteers.
On our standard programs or Projects for Professionals, you can travel and volunteer independently. Our staff and partner organizations are eager to hear any ideas you have about how to best use your time, skills, and energy.
For older adults looking to volunteer and travel in a group, we have our Grown-up Specials for over 50s. Like our other group trips, they have fixed dates you can choose according to your schedule.
Other International Volunteer Opportunities: Traveling with a Group
In addition to the above options, you can choose from other seasonal volunteering arrangements, all with fixed dates and schedules:
- Easter Week Specials in March or April. These are perfect for a family or group of friends, or a short solo adventure.
- Winter Break Trips over the winter holidays. Use the break to give back and celebrate the holidays abroad.
- Alternative Spring Break Trips in February and March for college students. Do something different over spring break and volunteer.
International Volunteer Programs with Projects Abroad
We look forward to helping you help, learn and explore. Get in touch with us and tell us what you want to do and where you would like to travel. You can do this by calling or emailing one of our Program Advisors, or chat with them online. We also recommend reading volunteer reviews from previous Projects Abroad volunteers and interns.