Are you interested in Peace Corps volunteer opportunities, but not sure about a two-year commitment? Projects Abroad is an organization like the Peace Corps, but with short-term options and fewer requirements.
Projects Abroad is an international volunteer organization that connects individuals with flexible programs around the world to support under served communities.
Here are the main differences between Projects Abroad and Peace Corps opportunities:
- We offer long and short-term programs; you decide the amount of time you want to volunteer
- Our programs are extremely flexible; you choose when you want to travel and which country you want to go to
- We don’t require you to have a degree or qualification when you apply
- We don’t require previous experience for most of our programs, as we teach you everything you need to know when you start
- Our programs are open to all ages and skill levels. We also offer programs specifically designed for high school students ages 15-18
- We provide 24/7 support from our staff in every country we work, so you’ll always have help and guidance when you need it
Choose a Volunteer Program
1-3 of 157 Projects
Take a Gap Semester Abroad in the Galapagos IslandsSee this project
- Fixed dates throughout the year
- Anyone aged 18 or over can join
- From 6 weeks
- From $9,395 USD
Sea Turtle Conservation in MexicoSee this project
- Completely flexible dates
- Anyone aged 16 or over can join
- From 1 week
- From $2,470 USD
Projects Abroad Can Help You Join the Peace Corps
If you want to volunteer with the Peace Corps, but cannot meet the requirements, Projects Abroad is the perfect alternative.
- Medicine and Healthcare
- Wildlife and Marine Conservation
- Teaching and Childcare
- Law and Human Rights
- International Development
- Social Work
Our programs will be a stepping stone you need to meet your goal of working with an organization like the Peace Corps in the future.
How old do you have to be to join the Peace Corps?
For Peace Corps programs, you need to be at least 18 years old. Projects Abroad accepts volunteers of all ages and skill levels.
We have programs designed specifically for you:
- Middle School Students
- High School Students
- Gap Year
- College Students
- College Graduates
These programs focus on experiential education, and give people a safe and guided introduction to volunteering and traveling abroad.
Like Projects Abroad, the Peace Corps has no upper age limit for seniors and retirees. However, if you need more flexibility in where and when you travel, Projects Abroad is the program for you. You choose what you want to do, where to go, and your travel dates. Our Project Experts can help you choose which project best matches your skills and experience.
Projects Abroad Offers You Flexibility and Choice
The Peace Corps is a great way to give back and gain experience abroad after you graduate. However, your service time will be just over two years, which not everyone is able to do.
With flexible programs running year-round, Projects Abroad is the ideal short-term Peace Corps alternative. You’ll support communities in need and gain insights into global issues, all within a time period of your choosing.
Concerned about making a real difference with short-term volunteering? Read our popular blog about how we ensure that your work makes a tangible impact.
Projects Abroad is Preparation for the Peace Corps
If you are interested in international volunteering, Projects Abroad is a great opportunity for you to see if the Peace Corps is a right fit for you.
Through our programs you will also join an alumni network of like-minded activists. You'll meet people from around the world while you collaborate for a shared goal, and leave with greater professional opportunities. You may even have the opportunity to be a Projects Abroad Ambassador or a full-time employee!
Finally, you can feel confident that our programs will leave an impact. We partner with local NGOs and organizations to create long-term, sustainable solutions in the countries we work. Our management plan is built around the UN's Sustainable Development Goals to ensure your contributions make a difference.