Choose a Medical Program
1-3 of 87 Projects
Medical Internship in PeruSee this project
- Completely flexible dates
- Anyone aged 18 or over can join
- From 4 weeks
- From $3,460 USD
Medical Internship in Peru for TeenagersSee this project
- Fixed dates during school break
- This project is only for 15-18 year olds
- From 2 weeks
- From $3,005 USD
Our Medicine & Healthcare Policy
We take the safety of our volunteers, interns, and the people they work with very seriously. That’s why we’ve put in place a comprehensive Medical Ethics Policy.
The amount of hands-on experience can vary between destinations, and we ensure that you learn essential skills wherever you go. Due to these ethical standards, we cannot allow our interns to be directly involved in surgery; however, certain destinations may have more opportunities to view surgery than others. If you’re interested in performing certain tasks or observing specific procedures, please reach out to our Project Experts to discuss your options!
What Summer Medical Internships are available for pre-med students?
We can organize medical volunteering opportunities and summer medical internships for pre-meds for as short as one week, accommodating even the busiest student. So even if you only have limited time over the summer, you can travel throughout June, July, and August. We’re entirely flexible, and you can choose when to start and end your trip.
Whether you’re a pre-med looking for summer programs abroad, or someone interested in giving back as a medical volunteer abroad, we have something for you! For example, practice your suturing skills at our Medicine Internship in Argentina. Or, learn to treat and dress chronic wounds at a leprosy camp through our Public Health Internship in Ghana.
What will I gain from a Medical Internship?
Our international medical volunteer opportunities give you skills that prepare you for your next stage of education and career, especially for pre medical students.
Here are some of the benefits that our previous interns talk about:
- Global competencies like teamwork, communication, leadership, resilience, organizing, planning, and time management
- More in-depth medical work experience than you might get in your home country. Concerned about how much you can benefit from your project if you don’t have previous medical experience? Read our blog about volunteering overseas without experience
- The ability to work and empathize with people of different cultures and backgrounds, helping to develop a global mindset
- Confidence from stepping out of your comfort zone
All of the above will enhance your resume and your personal development.
Practicums for Medical Students
What is a medical practicum?
A medical practicum gives you real-world, clinical experience in a busy hospital, clinic, or during a community healthcare outreach. In your day-to-day work, you’ll see illnesses and conditions first-hand that you’ve only encountered in textbooks before.
As an example, you can gain practicum experience through programs like:
- Observe neurosurgery first-hand at a world-class hospital in Shanghai, China.
- Work a night shift with an ambulance team in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia.
- Examine an x-ray with a doctor and walk through possible diagnoses at a Maasai community hospital in Tanzania.
How long is a practicum?
This is entirely up to you! Our placements run year-round, and you can join whenever your schedule allows. Our flexibility lets us accommodate you and whatever requirements your college puts forward. We’re able to help you find the best placement that fulfills your practicum hours, while also serving the needs of communities.
Why do Medical Internships matter?
Gaining medical work experience abroad will bring you closer to a future working in your chosen field. We’re proud to support future talent who’ll bring vital skills to communities in need.
Not quite what you’re looking for?
Take a look at the following pages where you'll find collections of similar projects: