Volunteer Occupational Therapists in Romania
- POSITION: Occupational Therapist
- PLACEMENT LOCATION: Brasov
- REQUIREMENTS: Degree in Occupational Therapy or a related subject
- ACCOMMODATION: Host family
- LENGTH OF PLACEMENT: From 4 weeks
- START DATES: Flexible
This professional volunteer occupational therapy project helps disadvantaged patients at care centers in Brasov.
We are looking to provide alternative treatments for patients who struggle with traditional doctors due to a lack of social skills. The plan is for you to help create a relaxed atmosphere to help with social interaction.
Here you will find answers to the following questions:
How can volunteer occupational therapists help in Romania?
You can use your knowledge and training to help local staff as a volunteer occupational therapist. You can work on tasks such as:
- Work with existing staff in a care center, including tasks such as:
- Planning, designing, and facilitating a schedule of activities with individuals and groups.
- Organizing and running training workshops for local staff.
- Producing documentation and guidelines for your therapy to be used by existing staff in the future.
- Attending meetings to share ideas, expertise and good practice.
- Assessing the needs of patients by listening and providing guidance.
- Working creatively with various patient groups in a therapeutic setting.
- Constructively challenging the behavior and attitude of patients and parents or caregivers.
We work with a large variety of care centers in Romania. We will try to place you with more than one institution. This means that you can share your knowledge with a large group of professional care workers.
You will be expected to work Monday to Friday for around 8 hours per day. You will agree the exact work schedule with your project supervisor on your first day in Romania.
This project runs all year and we are completely flexible about dates. You decide how much time you can spare and we will help you get the most out of it.
What will I gain from this project?
You will gain experience of teaching staff, patients and caregivers about your therapy. You will also work alongside experience professionals with whom you can share ideas. Working in a pressurized environment with a lack of resources will challenge you to improve your skills.
You will spend time in local communities, learning about a new culture and way of life. Staff and patients will want to hear about your life back home and your family and friends. We call this "cultural exchange" and we think it helps our volunteers gain a new perspective on life.
What will be provided?
We have over 20 years’ experience of running volunteer projects. We provide you with the following support to make sure your time in Romania is successful and enjoyable:
- Safe accommodation with a Romanian family close to your project.
- Friendly and dedicated local staff available to help 24 hours a day.
- A member of staff to meet you at the airport when you arrive.
- Medical and travel insurance.
What skills or qualifications do I need?
If you have at least a degree in Occupational Therapy or a related subject then you are perfectly suited for this project.
Please note - while this project is aimed at occupational therapists, the institutions we work with are also looking for anyone with experience in art therapy or music therapy. Please get in touch if you feel you can help in either of these areas.
Please contact us if you think your knowledge may be useful on this project but do not have the required qualifications.