At a glance
- Do a medical internship in Argentina for teenagers, and travel with a group your age while you learn directly from doctors and study Spanish. A very great way to add value to your medical work.
- You will shadow doctors and nurses at a local hospital. We will also teach you Spanish to help you to communicate with the medical staff and the local people.
- During your time you will live and work in Cordoba, and stay with a local host family. When you not are working we have organised a plenty of fun social activities to enjoy.
Fixed dates during school breakSee Dates
This project is only for 15-18 year olds
What will I do on a Medical placement in Argentina for high school students?
Your days will be jam-packed with observation work at local hospitals, working at outreaches, and Spanish classes. These are some of the things you’ll do on this program:
- Shadow doctors and nurses in medical facilities and clinics
- Take part in medical outreaches to provide healthcare in local communities
- Attend medical workshops to learn more about healthcare in Argentina
- Learn Spanish with a qualified teacher everyday
Your project activities will focus on the following:
Shadow doctors and nurses in medical facilities and clinics
You will spend the majority of your time on this placement observing local doctors and nurses at work in various healthcare facilities. You will also have the chance to watch surgeries being performed. This is your chance to ask lots of questions, so be sure to have your notepad and pen at the ready!
Take part in medical outreach projects to provide healthcare to those in need
Many communities in Argentina have little to no access to basic healthcare services. In order to bring free healthcare to these communities, we run regular outreaches. This is an opportunity for you to gain a better understanding of the health challenges disadvantaged communities face. These are some of the things you’ll do:
- Raise awareness about the importance of good hygiene practices in order to prevent disease
- Helping to perform basic health checks, like checking blood pressure and blood sugar levels
- Share knowledge about good nutrition to help prevent non-communicable diseases such as diabetes and obesity
Before you participate in one of these outreaches, we’ll teach you everything you need to know.
Attend medical workshops to learn more about healthcare in Argentina
You will have the opportunity to attend workshops to build your knowledge of healthcare in Argentina. Workshops will focus on topics like:
- Common diseases in Argentina
- First aid
- Traditional medicine
- Nutritional cooking
- Prevention of non-communicable diseases such as diabetes and obesity
Learn Spanish with a qualified teacher
During your time in Argentina, you’ll have Spanish classes for two hours every day. These classes are taught by a qualified language teacher, and will be tailored for your exact level. We’ll also teach you some medical Spanish, which you can use while shadowing doctors and nurses. Classes take place at the Projects Abroad office in the Villa Centenario neighbourhood, close to downtown Cordoba.
Where in Argentina will I be working?
Cordoba is a fascinating city, offering travelers a rich cultural history. Think cathedrals and churches, the oldest college in South America, and amazing galleries, theaters, and parks.
You’ll work in hospitals and clinics, which you will travel to each day via local public transport. You’ll always be with your group, and your Projects Abroad supervisor. You’ll also have the chance to shadow doctors in different hospital departments.
When you’re not working, you’ll do things like see traditional villages in the hills, and visit the house which once belonged to Che Guevara.
We set out the aims and objectives of our projects in documents called Management Plans. We use them to properly plan the work you’ll do. They also help us measure and evaluate our achievements and impact each year.
Ultimately, our Management Plans help us make our projects better. This in turn means you get to be part of something that makes a real impact where it’s needed. Read more about our Management Plans.
Measuring our impact
Every year, thousands of High School Special volunteers and interns actively make a difference around the world. During their time abroad, they contribute towards achieving long-term goals and make a long-lasting positive impact on the communities where they work.
We produce an annual High School Specials Impact Report, which documents some of these achievements. Find out more about the impact of these projects, and read the latest report.
Safety and staff support
Your safety and security is our prime concern. We have many procedures and systems to ensure you have all the extra support you need as a young person travelling abroad. Our Projects Abroad staff are there for you 24 hours a day during the week and over weekends to provide constant support and guidance. Our staff also make sure you feel comfortable and safe at your placement and accommodation. If you encounter any problems, they will be available to help at any time.
Find out more about safety and backup.
Meet the team in Argentina
Not quite what you’re looking for?
Take a look at the following pages where you'll find collections of similar projects: