What makes our medical volunteer opportunities for high school students special?
- You'll gain firsthand experience into providing medical care in a global context
- Everything is planned for you, so all you need to do is focus on your experience
- Volunteers from around the world will be living and working with you to achieve the same goal
- Staff will be by your side every step of the way, and your safety and well-being is our greatest priority
- We coordinate weekly social activities so you can experience a new country from a local's perspective
- You’ll become part of a global network of aspiring medical professionals
- They coincide with your summer break and follow a set itinerary
What is the goal of our summer medical volunteer programs for high school students?
- Teach you basic medical skills and give you first-hand insight into what life is like as a medical professional
- Provide opportunities to intern in a medical facility in various departments while living in a new country
- Understand how medical professionals diagnose and treat patients
- Learn about the different healthcare challenges patients face
What will you do on our medical internships abroad?
- Gain experience and learn basic medical skills before college
- Assist doctors and nurses on outreaches to improve access to healthcare
- Participate in awareness campaigns to spread the word about disease prevention and more
- Have the time of your life traveling with new friends around a beautiful country, with support and guidance every step of the way.
Read on below to discover what to expect during one of our medical internships abroad for high school students.
1. Gain experience and learn basic medical skills before college
The first step to become a doctor, nurse, or any other medical professional is to learn the basics. As part of our medical volunteer opportunities abroad, you and other high school students will learn directly from professionals. They’ll teach you basic skills during workshops and you’ll shadow them as they treat patients in medical facilities or the community. Some of the valuable skills you’ll learn include:
- Measuring vitals, such as blood pressure and blood sugar levels
- Administering injections and stitches
- Providing first aid care and support
- Disease and illness prevention
Worried about not being able to stand blood or open wounds? While you’re shadowing medical staff, you might have the chance to observe various medical procedures. In some of our programs, you might:
- Observe surgeries, such as abdominal, ENT, dental, or open-heart surgery
- Observe C-sections and natural births
- Shadow medical professionals during ambulance night shifts
- Assist with eye tests and use the x-ray machine
Learning is only a small part of the process. And we offer more. We’ll give you the opportunity to practice your new skills. You could give injections to oranges, practice stitching on pig skin, or measure blood pressure at community healthcare outreaches.
“Honestly, I always said blood or raw wounds didn’t bother me but at the same time I didn’t really know if it did or didn’t bother me. In the clinics that we were put in, I was exposed to flesh wounds and blood and I really got to know myself and I discovered I could handle blood. I learned so many things within the clinic and during our workshop lessons. Things like how to stitch, what type of stitches to use, and how to give injections, which we did on a piece of fruit and a pig leg.” - Faith L, Medicine in Peru
2. Assist doctors and nurses on outreaches to improve access to healthcare
For us, it’s important that we make a positive impact in the communities we work. For this reason, you’ll get to assist doctors at various community healthcare outreaches. Many of the communities in which we work don’t have the necessary funds or transport to seek medical care. Without regular screening, illness could go undetected until symptoms become severe. Your participation in our summer medical volunteer programs helps provide free basic medical services to communities in need.
You’ll help with routine health checks under supervision of medical professionals. You’ll use the skills you and the other high school students learned in your international medical internship workshops. In 2018, our high school medical interns helped local healthcare individuals screen over 7,650 people!
"Overall, my time in Ghana was the best month of my life and I made friends I hope to never lose. The experience I gained in the medical field was invaluable and it solidified my desire to go into a medical profession. I hope to return to Cape Coast next summer to visit the many friends I made there, and I also hope to continue volunteering with Projects Abroad. I encourage anyone interested to consider going to Ghana. Who knows? It could quite possibly change your life." -Victoria, Medicine High School Special in Ghana
These programs will help you decide if a medical career is something you truly want. It’ll push you in the right direction while allowing you to be a part of something bigger: our efforts to improve healthcare in developing countries. And you'll achieve it through the support of our helpful staff and volunteers from around the world.
Are you ready to discover what you’re capable of? Take a look through our High School Special Projects to decide which one is the best fit for you. Reach out to us at anytime; our Project Experts will love to help you find the perfect placement for your summer volunteer abroad program.