Social Work Internships in Romania
- Placement locations: Brasov
- Role: Work alongside a trained psychologist or social worker to help children in need and with the treatment of people with special needs or disabilities
- Requirements: Interns must be studying social work or a related field
- Type of placement: Childcare centers, hospitals
- Accommodation: Host families
- Length of placement: From 4 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Since the collapse of communism, Romania has progressed a great deal and overcome many challenges. However, although development is rapid, there are still many areas being affected by social problems. These problems include severe poverty in rural areas and poor living conditions for children.
As a Social Work intern with Projects Abroad, you will be placed in centers for children, day care centers for disabled people with various conditions, and hospitals. Here, you will be able to use your knowledge and training to help provide the care that is desperately needed. A qualified professional will be at your side throughout your internship, who will share their experience and knowledge with you and assist you when necessary.
To join this project, you must be studying social work or a related field.
Your Role at the Social Work Internship in Romania
You can use your existing knowledge and skills to help local staff by getting involved with the following:
- Assisting local staff in care centers or hospitals
- Spending individual time with children who have special needs such as autism, hyperactivity, and hearing and speech loss
- Talking to teenage mothers who lack social development due to their young age (you will teach them to rediscover play, as well as interact with their children)
- Getting children with mental and physical disabilities to interact in class
- Help develop the overall standards of care by working in collaboration with the local staff
During your internship, you will from Monday to Friday for around eight hours a day. This may involve working with more than one institution but the exact work schedule will be discussed with your project supervisor on your first day in Romania.
The project runs all year round and is flexible with start dates. You decide how much time you can spare and we will help you get the most out of it.
Interning in Social Work in Romania with Projects Abroad
Due to the variety of placements, you will have the opportunity to treat many patients, including those with special needs and disabilities. This internship allows you to improve your skills while giving you a deeper understanding of social work and the benefit it has, particularly in a developing country.
While you are in Romania, you will be staying with a local host family and interacting with people from the community every day. Encourage storytelling and share your life experiences, and help improve understanding across borders and languages through cultural exchange.
If you are interested in this project but are not studying social work or a related subject, take a look at our standard Care Project in Romania.