Why volunteer in Africa?
Africa is one of the most popular destinations for volunteers abroad, and for good reason. In the countries where we work, communities face numerous challenges and need extra support. As a volunteer, you’ll provide resources, offer your skills, and work directly with local people towards long-term goals.
Volunteers in Africa do things like:
- Treat wounds for leprosy patients and test for malaria in Ghana
- Build classrooms in Maasai villages in Tanzania
- Protect endangered species of giraffe in Kenya
And so much more!
These are Africa-specific issues that need people like you to offer your time for long-term solutions. At the same time, you get to explore a unique culture in some of the world’s most spectacular locations.
How to become a volunteer in Africa
Want to know more about how to volunteer in Africa? The good news is that we make it incredibly accessible!
Just follow these steps to make your Africa volunteer travel dreams into a reality:
- Think about the work you want to do, whether that’s helping children, protecting endangered wildlife, or building houses. If you have your heart set on a particular country in Africa, then choose your favorite project in that destination.
- Reach out to our Project Experts, who can provide more information. They'll help you make the right choice for your interests and goals.
- Decide how much time you have to travel to Africa, how flexible your dates are, and if you’d rather travel alone or as a group. This will determine what kind of trip is right for you. You could join a Flexi Trip, a Team Trip, or a High School Special for students aged 15-18.
- Once you know which African country to visit, what work to do, and how long to travel for, simply fill in the application form and book your place!
How old do I have to be to volunteer in Africa?
All our volunteer opportunities in Africa are open to people aged 16 and over. To join a project, all you need to do is check you meet the requirements and apply.
Most of our volunteer abroad projects have minimum requirements which are stated clearly on the project page.
We also offer volunteer programes in Africa for high school students aged 15-18. Our High School Specials give teenagers the support and care they need as young travelers.
And there’s no upper age limit! We believe you’re never too old to do volunteer work in Africa. In fact, your experience and skills are much needed to support development in African countries.
Is volunteering in Africa ethical?
Rest assured you’ll have an ethical experience with us in Africa. We hold our volunteers to a high standard, especially when working with children, animals, or in a medical setting.
As champions of responsible volunteer travel, we follow an eight-point checklist for all projects, including our service trips to Africa. This guarantees an ethical travel experience for all involved.
Do we offer short-term volunteer opportunities in Africa?
Looking to do a one-week volunteer program in Africa? We encourage you to maximize your impact by volunteering in Africa for longer. But, if you prefer, you can volunteer in Africa for a week.
Is it safe to volunteer in Africa?
Many people ask if it’s safe to volunteer in Africa. When you volunteer with us, this is something you can stop worrying about. We’ll place you in African countries that are politically stable and safe to visit. Our local staff constantly keep a close eye on changing situations.
We only work in the safest countries in Africa to volunteer. This means that you can really get stuck into making a positive change in the local community. As always when traveling abroad, volunteers in Africa should stay alert.
Local staff will be on hand to offer tips and advice on keeping yourself and your belongings safe. They’re contactable 24/7.
All our Africa placements are fully researched, safety audited, and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.
Where to Volunteer in Africa
Our volunteer opportunities in Africa include the following countries:
Africa is an incredibly diverse continent, with awe-inspiring natural wonders and a rich cultural heritage. We do volunteer work in several African countries and can help you find the best volunteer program in Africa for you.
In each African country we work in, we’ve identified the needs of the local communities. Our volunteer placements in Africa all work toward supporting sustainable development and helping people overcome these challenges.
So, what are you waiting for? Join us as a volunteer in Africa today, and become part of something bigger!
Get volunteer travel tips
Subscribe to the newsletter