1. What were your initial concerns when your daughter suggested volunteering abroad?Would she be safe and well looked after in the area she was going to.
2. How did Projects Abroad handle your concerns?They reassured me she would be well looked after and someone would meet her at the airport, which helped me put confidence in the company.
3. Did you have any phone or email contact with the office staff prior to applying for the project?No but my daughter did and told me what they had said at each step of the way.
4. Did you feel reassured that your daughter could reach support from our staff throughout her time overseas?Yes, the area was indeed safe and the staff was friendly. The staff was always on hand if anything went wrong.
5. Did you find that your daughter had enough opportunity to contact home whie away?Yes, Laura got a local phone SIM card and was able to call us. Also she had weekly internet access in the local village where she messaged us on facebook and via email.
6. How did the trip affect your daughter? For example has her experience helped with college applications or securing a job?The experience has broadened her horizons and given an insight into how other people live and therefore has done her a lot of good. It also gave her something to talk about in her college interviews. Finally, it has given her an interest in travel and made her want to travel further in the future.
7. Knowing the process from application to returning home, is there anything else that Projects Abroad could do to improve the service?No, there is lots of feedback which is given and Laura has enjoyed the service and experience they have given.
8.Would you recommend Projects Abroad to a friend?Yes, it would help their children to become independent and have other things to think about other than computer games. It will also help them to see more of the world and is a good parent-friendly way to do it.
Parent of Laura D.
This is a personal account of one volunteer’s experience on the project and is a snapshot in time. Your experience may be different, as our projects are constantly adapting to local needs and building on accomplishments. Seasonal weather changes can also have a big impact. Find out more about what you can expect from this project, or speak to one of our friendly Program Advisors.
Back to Volunteer Stories