Our Enhanced Safety Protocols for COVID-19
We’ve thoroughly reviewed our health and safety protocols and increased them in light of COVID-19. Our enhanced protocols are in line with guidance from the World Health Organization and requirements from local authorities. These include:
- Some destinations, airlines or projects may require volunteers to provide a negative lateral flow or (PCR) test for COVID-19.
- This may also require you to take certification with you on the flight.
- If you are uncertain on whether this impacts your journey or not, please speak to one of our Project Experts, who will be willing to help.
- In the rare event that you cannot get tested before departure, local teams can help you get one on arrival.
- Our local teams have been trained on the signs and symptoms of COVID-19. We’ve pre-identified the best hospitals and clinics to use if volunteers or staff show any symptoms.
- We’ll require volunteers to take regular temperature checks provided by Projects Abroad.
- Anyone developing symptoms will be required to isolate, either at their host accommodation or a separate guest house or hotel. A dedicated staff member will be responsible for looking after anyone having to isolate.
- We’ll carry out a deep clean of all volunteer accommodation before each new arrival.
- We’ll implement social distancing measures at our accommodation and projects. Depending on the destination and project, single rooms can be requested.
Fully vetted accommodation
Most of our volunteers and interns live with a local host family. Each of our host families are carefully chosen for security, comfort, and friendliness. The family, their home and the neighborhood are all fully vetted by our expert staff before and during your visit.
Many hosts are associated with our programs - for example, a teacher or headmistress at one of our partner schools, or a doctor at one of our medical placements. We also try to place you alongside a fellow volunteer or intern so your stay is sociable and you can share your experience with like-minded people.
A personal service
You’re not just a number to us. Our staff are passionate about making sure you get the most out of your time with Projects Abroad. We keep in touch with you before you leave, during your Project, and after you come home.
We have whole teams of staff in every destination, but you’ll have a dedicated supervisor assigned to you. They know the local area inside out and will be the first to know if there are any security or safety risks. They also know your host family and the local community well. If you have any problems or illness, they’ll be there to keep you safe and secure.
From the very first day, our support quite literally could not have been better. Our main Projects Abroad contact and our two other support staff, did quite literally absolutely everything they could to make our stay easy, enjoyable, stimulating and any other adjective you can think of! They were wonderful, we could not have asked for more. Would I do it again? Tomorrow, without a second thought! - Vicki James, Warwickshire Girl Guides Group Leader.
An in-house medical advisor
Your physical and mental health is a top priority during your time with us. Living and working in a completely new environment can be a challenge which is why we have employed an experienced doctor in volunteering travel and expeditions who is available to consult with you and your physician before you leave. This way you and your doctor can discuss any health concerns and our in-house doctor will advise you accordingly so that you feel confident about your upcoming trip.
But our medical service doesn't stop there. If there is ever an emergency or you wish to see a doctor while abroad, he will advise our local staff on the next best steps. Our doctor will also act as a link with your medical insurance company when required.
We are there to take care of everything so that you can feel your best and achieve the best.