Volunteer in Mexico with Children
- Placement locations: Guadalajara, Ciudad Guzman
- Types of care projects: Care centers for disabled children, kindergartens, rehabilitation center for street children,orphanages
- Age of children: 0 - 15
- Number of people cared for: Varied
- Role: Volunteers work on achieving the goals set out in the Care Management Plan, including running educational games and group activities, providing emotional support and helping disadvantaged youngsters reintegrate back into society.
- Accommodation: Host families
- Length of placement: From 4 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Joining Projects Abroad as a Care volunteer in Mexico you will have an important role to play in the orphanages and care centers where we work. Volunteers at all our care placements in Mexico are engaged in helping children who have few other people they can turn to. Volunteering in Mexico should be considered a challenging, but also an incredibly rewarding, endeavor.
You are not required to have previous experience working with children, provided that you are passionate and commited to the job and the people you are trying to help. A working knowledge of Spanish is beneficial, but not essential if you are prepared to learn. Whether you are on a gap year, an older volunteer on a career break, or volunteering for a summer abroad, you will have a role to play and your contribution will be valued.
Projects Abroad has a variety of care placements in Guadalajara, Mexico's second largest city, and Ciudad Guzman, a smaller town in the volcanic region a couple of hours south. Volunteering in Mexico could see you working in an orphanage, kindergarten, or center for children with mental and physical disabilities. Our partner organizations include the Red Cross, who operate care centers in the region.
You can read more detailed information about the aims of the project in our Mexico Care Management Plan.
All volunteers on Teaching, Care, Culture & Community, Medicine & Healthcare, Journalism, Animal Care, or Spanish projects in Mexico now have the opportunity to add a 7-Day Conservation Project to the end of their main placement. For more information visit our 7-Day Mexico Conservation Project page.