Volunteer Coordinator - Temporary
Vacancy for: Volunteer Coordinator - Short Term
Location: Volunteering Destinations
How to Apply: Please use the "Apply" button on this page. Do not send applications by email.
We are looking for local staff members in several of our destinations. Please note candidates will only be eligible if they are currently based and eligible to work in one of those countries.
The destinations include: Argentina, Cambodia, Sri Lanka, and Tanzania.
Projects Abroad rests on the work of Volunteer Coordinators to ensure our volunteers have the best experience possible during their stay in one of our destinations. During our Summer Programmes, thousands of young volunteers from around the world have their first live/work abroad experience and we recruit extra help to assist with logistics and support in our busiest destinations.
Working alongside our team, these short-term coordinators become the face and hands of Projects Abroad in making sure each new arrival feels welcome and secure in their new environment.
As a Volunteer Coordinator, you will:
- Help maintain effective communication between the destination office and the volunteers
- Assist in preparing arrangements for volunteers before they arrive in destination.
- Conduct inductions with new volunteers to introduce them to their new community and help them settle in.
- Provide advice and encouragement to volunteers, many of whom have not travelled overseas before.
- Keep up to date, clear and concise records of volunteer activities, interactions and relevant details.
- Coordinate resources with the local staff in destination.
- Oversee the safety and well-being of volunteers in accordance to Projects Abroad standards.
- Work effectively and supportively in a team of local and foreign staff
- The job is busy, will involve some out-of-office hours work and can be physically demanding. You should be prepared to be on call any day.
You should be:
- Fluent in English, both spoken and written.
- Fluent in the local language of the country where you are located (you will only be an eligible candidate if you are currently living in the destination country for which you are applying).
- Physically fit.
- Computer literate.
- Mature in attitude and outlook.
- Able to remain calm and efficient under pressure.
- An excellent communicator with people of all ages and cultures.
- A team player who enjoys working as part of a team, you should delegate work appropriately and fairly amongst other staff.
- Flexible and able to take direction and accept feedback.
- Able to communicate across a range of cultures.
- Experienced working with people aged 15 - 18.
- Patient and adaptable.
- Proactive and resourceful.
- Friendly and personable, with customer service skills, you must respond well to others.
- A University graduate (preferable but not required).
- Additional languages will be an advantage.
The successful candidates will be employed on a short-term contract, between 4 weeks and 4 months. Please specify your availability in the application form.
An offer of employment is dependent upon receipt of satisfactory references, a criminal record check and a successful personal interview.
Salary and Benefits
Projects Abroad pays a good local salary, as well as agreed day-to-day work-related expenses.
Complete the online application form by making sure you fill out all required fields. (If any of them is not applicable, please state NA).
Upload a 2-page CV and a Cover Letter (Highlighting how your skills and experience meet the specification - one page maximum)
If you are a shortlisted candidate, you will be invited to attend an interview with our staff in destination. Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.