Volunteer Opportunities for Professional Midwives in Kenya
- POSITION: Midwife
- PLACEMENT LOCATION: Nanyuki
- REQUIREMENTS: Full qualifications as a midwife & relevant licence to practice
- ACCOMMODATION: Host family
- LENGTH OF PLACEMENT: From 2 weeks
- START DATES: Flexible
As a professional midwife volunteering in Kenya with Projects Abroad, you can help treat disadvantaged pregnant women and babies in health clinics and hospitals. The staff in these institutions can benefit greatly from qualified midwives sharing their knowledge of treatment methods from their country of qualification.
This project is perfect for midwives considering volunteer work abroad or midwives on a career break.
Here you will find answers to the following questions:
How can volunteer midwives help in Kenya?
You can use your knowledge and training to help local staff as a volunteer midwife. You can work on tasks such as:
- Helping existing staff to treat patients, including:
- Assisting with diagnosing, monitoring, and examining women during pregnancy.
- Developing, assessing, and evaluating individual programs of care.
- Assisting mothers in labor.
- Producing literature for new parents giving advice on the daily care of their baby, including breast feeding, bathing, and making up feeds.
- Helping with medical outreach programs within nearby towns and villages.
- Working with existing staff to find ways of improving care standards.
- Observing and assessing the work of local trainee midwives.
- Coordinate outreach projects where possible.
What will I gain from this project?
While working in a health clinic or hospital in Kenya, you will learn and practice methods of treating patients that are different to those used in North America. You will also benefit from discussions with fellow professionals and pass on any information from your home country. Working with a lack of facilities will also add to your abilities and help you develop your skills as a midwife.
Locals will be eager to hear about your life back home, your family, and your friends. We believe that this cultural exchange helps our volunteers gain a new perspective on life.
What will Projects Abroad provide?
We have over 20 years’ experience of running volunteer projects. We provide you with the following support to make sure your time in Kenya is successful and enjoyable:
- Safe accommodation with a Kenyan family close to your project.
- Friendly and dedicated local staff available to help 24 hours a day.
- A member of staff to meet you at the airport when you arrive.
- Medical and travel insurance.
What skills or qualifications do I need?
You need to be fully qualified as a midwife and have a relevant license to practice in your country of residence.