Art Therapist Volunteering in Romania
- POSITION: Art Therapist
- PLACEMENT LOCATION: Brasov
- REQUIREMENTS: Degree in Art Therapy or a related subject (Occupational Therapy or Music Therapy)
- ACCOMMODATION: Host family
- LENGTH OF PLACEMENT: From 4 weeks
- START DATES: Flexible
This volunteer art therapy project helps disadvantaged patients at orphanages, care homes and hospitals in Brasov.
It can be daunting for patients from these institutions to deal with traditional doctors. Therefore, we are looking for help from art therapists.
The idea is to treat patients in a relaxed atmosphere and promote more social interaction.
Here you will find answers to the following questions:
How can volunteer art therapists help in Romania?
You can use your knowledge and training to help local staff as a volunteer art therapist. You can work on tasks such as:
- Organize and run training workshops for the existing staff in day centers, foster homes and pediatric hospitals.
- Provide staff, patients, and parents with information on using art as a therapy for the disabled and those with social and mental health problems.
- Work with patients to provide individual and group art therapy treatment.
- Produce documentation and guidelines for art therapy to be used by existing staff in the future.
We work with a large variety of care centers, foster homes, and hospitals in Romania. We will try to place you with more than one institution. This means that you can share your knowledge with a large group of professional care workers.
You will be expected to work Monday to Friday for around 8 hours per day. You will agree the exact work schedule with your project supervisor on your first day in Romania.
This project runs all year and we are completely flexible about dates. You decide how much time you can spare and we will help you get the most out of it.
What will I gain from this project?
You will gain experience of teaching staff, patients, and caregivers about art therapy. You will also work alongside experience professionals with whom you can share ideas. Working in a pressurized environment with a lack of resources will challenge you to improve your skills.
You will spend time in local communities, learning about a new culture and way of life. Staff and patients will want to hear about your life back home and your family and friends. We call this "cultural exchange" and we think it helps our volunteers gain a new perspective on life.
What will Projects Abroad provide?
We have over 20 years’ experience of running volunteer projects. We provide you with the following support to make sure your time in Romania is successful and enjoyable:
- Safe accommodation with a Romanian family close to your project.
- Friendly and dedicated local staff available to help 24 hours a day.
- A member of staff to meet you at the airport when you arrive.
- Medical and travel insurance.
What qualifications do I need?
If you have at least a degree in Art Therapy or a related subject then you are perfectly suited for this project.
Please note - while this project is aimed at art therapists, the institutions we work with are also looking for anyone with experience in occupational therapy or music therapy. Please get in touch if you feel you can help in either of these areas.
If you are interested in this project but don’t have the relevant experience, then please read about our standard Care projects in Romania.