Global Gap Year: Overview
Global Gap is an innovative 27-week volunteer program for gap year students who want a far-ranging international experience that spans three continents, five countries, and twelve different service opportunities. By offering immersion opportunities in local communities around the globe, Global Gap offers a unique way to explore new places, learn about important global issues and help out on worthwhile volunteer projects.
The Global Gap program is designed for high school graduates taking a year off before university. The program consists of a two week orientation and Care program in Ghana, followed by one-to-two month programs in each of South Africa, Peru, Nepal and Thailand. In each of these countries, volunteers will work closely with our local staff members on projects that lend insight into important issues in developing countries like housing, education, environmental conservation and human rights.
The Global Gap program is tailored for a maximum of 15 volunteers and minimum of 5. The agenda is:
- September 25, 2016 – October 1, 2016 (1 week): Orientation in Accra, Ghana
- October 2, 2016 - October 22, 2016 (3 weeks): Care in Accra, Ghana
- October 23, 2016 – November 5, 2016 (2 weeks): Building in Cape Town, South Africa
- November 6, 2016 – December 3, 2016 (4 weeks): Choice of Project in Cape Town, South Africa
- December 4, 2016 – January 7, 2017 (5 weeks): Winter Break
- January 8, 2017 – March 4, 2017 (8 weeks): Teaching in the Sacred Valley of the Incas, Peru
- March 5, 2017 – April 1, 2017 (4 weeks): Choice of Project in Kathmandu, Nepal
- April 2, 2017 – April 29, 2017 (4 weeks): Diving & Marine Conservation in Ao Nang, Thailand
5 countries, 6 incredible people and 8 unforgettable months, I can't believe this year has come to a close. I've learned more about myself and the greater world in the last eight months than I would have ever imagined. And I wanted to thank everyone who has given me so much love and support, personally and financially, along the way because I wouldn't be in this place without you. And for the memories and lessons that I have learned I cannot express my gratitude. Read more...
The Global Gap all-inclusive program fee is $29,995. This price includes all food and housing, medical and travel insurance, airport pick up and drop off in each destination, as well as 24-hour support from our staff. Unlike other Projects Abroad programs, this program fee includes all required plane tickets from the US and Canada, including round-trip tickets home for winter break. This program fee also includes various sightseeing tours and activities in each destination.
Choose a Global Gap Year stage:
Throughout the year Projects Abroad offers free webinars, or virtual open houses, presented by the US and Canadian offices. See when the next Global Gap Webinar is scheduled.
You can also view a previously recorded Global Gap webinar:
Projects Abroad Vice President Tom Pastorius speaks about the Global Gap program on NBC Nightly News.