Africa is home to some of the most diverse and thriving ecosystems in the world. Sadly, it’s also home to many species in danger of extinction. As a volunteer working with African animals, you’ll help our local teams protect endangered animals and habitats, and do critical wildlife research.
No prior experience is needed to do volunteer work with African animals. We also welcome students and professionals with experience in environmental work. You can expect to do things like:
- Take part in elephant surveys in Botswana and help remove deadly snares planted by poachers
- Work at a South African sea bird rehabilitation center, helping care for endangered birds like the African Penguin
- Help protect the endangered Rothschild’s Giraffe. With only a few thousand left in the wild, our Kenyan reserve is home to a large portion of the Rothschild's Giraffe population
Looking to fulfil internship requirements for conservation work? We can organize this easily at any of our Conservation Projects. Read our blog to learn more about opportunities for practical fieldwork through our guide to wildlife conservation internships in Africa and beyond.
I absolutely loved my project in the rainforest. We did a bird and lemur census, planted trees, collected seedlings, picked up litter, did path restoration, built bins, and educated local villagers about recycling and waste management. It was such a wonderful experience to work with the locals, learning from them, as well as teaching them. - Katie F, Lemur Research and Protection in Madagascar
Our Ethical Approach to Wildlife Conservation in Africa
We’re immensely proud of the work done by our conservation volunteers in Africa. You can read about their efforts (and the efforts of all our other volunteers around the world) on Our Impact page.
Our work with animals in Africa, and all of the work we do around the world, is guided by our Animal Welfare Policy. We also collate all information collected by volunteers on our Global Impact Database. Through these guidelines, we can do more for animals and environments in need.
Choose a Conservation Project in Africa
1-3 of 6 Projects
Giraffe & Lion Conservation in KenyaSee this project
- Price: $2,970 USD for 1 week
- Extra Weeks: $430 USD
- Start Date: Anytime
- Minimum Duration: 1 week
- Ages: 16 or over
Conservation Volunteer Work in Kenya for TeenagersSee this project
- Price: $3,605 USD for 2 weeks
- Extra Weeks: $630 USD
- Start Date: Summer/Winter Break
- Minimum Duration: 2 weeks
- Ages: 15-18