Volunteering for Professional Math Teachers in Peru
- POSITION: Math Teacher
- PLACEMENT LOCATION: Cusco
- REQUIREMENTS: Qualified Teacher Status (or the equivalent qualification in your home country); Intermediate level of Spanish
- ACCOMMODATION: Host family
- LENGTH OF PLACEMENT: From 4 weeks
- START DATES: Flexible
As a professional teacher, you can make a significant impact on students and teachers in Peruvian schools. The Peruvian Ministry of Education is always looking to improve the standard of teaching and we work with them and local teachers to give them new ideas and teaching methods. You will be based at a secondary school in Cusco and teach students from the ages of 11 to 18.
Here you will find answers to the following questions:
How can I help in Peru?
You can use your knowledge and training to help local staff as a volunteer teacher. You can work on tasks such as:
- Teaching math in a secondary school. Depending on your experience, this includes tasks such as:
- Planning, preparing, and delivering lessons to a range of classes.
- Marking work, giving appropriate feedback, and maintaining records of pupils' progress and development.
- Supervising and supporting the work of teaching assistants, trainee teachers, and newly qualified teachers.
- Designing and teaching 90 minute "model" lessons to show staff different teaching methods.
- Holding workshops with staff to discuss issues raised during "model" lessons.
- Observing classes in order to assess existing teaching staff, offer advice, and set goals for their development.
- Organizing and running training clinics for Projects Abroad volunteers working with other schools (optional).
This project is designed for teachers who can speak intermediate Spanish. This will help you engage with staff and pupils.
We work with secondary schools in Cusco with students aged 11-18 and class sizes of around 30-35. We also have an extensive set of teaching materials available for you to use.
This project runs all year round so you can join at any time. You decide how much time you can spare and we will help you get the most out of it. During the summer vacations (January to February) this project runs as a teacher training school. Your input here would be immensely valuable and Peruvian teachers will appreciate the help you can give them to improve their English and teaching ability.
What will I gain from this project?
This project has a huge amount of peer contact because most of your work will involve interacting with Peruvian teachers. You will be able to learn from their methods and pass on tips from your own experiences. You will also gain experience of teaching children in a foreign language and finding new ways to simplify and communicate ideas.
Through educating the children at the school, you will learn about Peruvian culture and way of life. Staff and pupils will want to hear about your life back home and your family and friends. We call this "cultural exchange" and we think it helps our volunteers gain a new perspective on life.
What will Projects Abroad provide?
We have over 20 years’ experience of running volunteer projects. We provide you with the following support to make sure your time in Peru is successful and enjoyable:
- Safe accommodation with a Peruvian family close to your project.
- Friendly and dedicated local staff available to help 24 hours a day.
- A member of staff to meet you at the airport when you arrive.
- Medical and travel insurance.
What skills or qualifications do I need?
If you have attained Qualified Teacher Status (or the equivalent qualification in your home country) then you are perfectly suited to this project. You will also need to speak intermediate Spanish.
If you are interested in this project but don’t have the relevant experience, then please read about our standard Teaching Projects in Peru.