Speech Therapy Internships in Tanzania
- Placement location: Moshi
- Role: To help treat children with speech and language difficulties
- Types of placements: Rehabilitation center for children
- Requirements: Interns must have completed at least two years of studies in speech therapy or a related field
- Accommodation: Host family
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
In Tanzania, people affected by disabilities often struggle with daily life and receive very little support from their local communities. As a Speech Therapy intern with Projects Abroad, you can have a significant impact by helping children improve their communication impairments and giving them increased confidence. This project is a great opportunity to enrich lives while adding valuable experience to your resume.
Interns who take part in this project will be placed at a rehabilitation center for children in Moshi. The Speech Therapy program at the center focuses on improving the daily living skills of children. You will be involved in various tasks, including to help assess, diagnose, and treat patients with speech, language, or swallowing difficulties. You will also assist with the development of individual treatment programs for different patients.
All Speech Therapy interns in Tanzania must have completed at least two years of studies in speech therapy or a related field by the time they join this project.
Interning Abroad as a Speech Therapist in Tanzania with Projects Abroad
This project requires interns to be patient, motivated, and compassionate. Although results may not be seen immediately, it is rewarding to see the gradual improvements in the patients abilities. We encourage interns to use their initiative, and to be eager to learn and practice new techniques and methods when working with the children.
You will work independently, without supervision by a local speech therapist. There will be a qualified occupational therapist on site who has excellent working knowledge of speech therapy, who will be able to assist and guide you when needed.
The activities you can get involved with on this speech therapy project include:
- Helping discuss, diagnose, and treat children with speech, language or swallowing difficulties
- Monitoring patients' improvements through progress reports
- Evaluating and designing treatment plans with specific goals for patients
- Teaching speech therapy exercises/techniques to overcome or remediate difficulties
- Monitoring patients’ improvements through progress reports
You can read more detailed information about the aims of the project in our Tanzania Medicine & Healthcare Management Plan.
While interning in Tanzania, you will stay with a local host family. During your free time, you will have the opportunity to meet other Projects Abroad volunteers and interns and explore the local area. If you want to take part in this project, but you are not sure if you qualify, please send us your resume.