Social Work Internships in Ghana
- Placement locations: Accra
- Role: To work in care facilities and schools alongside a trained psychologist or social worker and provide assistance and support for the local community.
- Requirements: Interns must be studying social work or a related field
- Type of placement: Shelter for abused children, Correctional center, and schools
- Accommodation: Host families
- Length of placement: From 3 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
As one of the most stable and economically advanced countries in Africa, Ghana is often regarded as a success story, particularly in West Africa. Unfortunately, the country is facing rising levels of economic inequality, which has deeply affected orphans, child laborers, and children living in troubled homes. Your training in social work is needed to assist local staff and provide children with specialized care.
Interning with Projects Abroad in Ghana is a great opportunity for social work students looking to gain professional experience in a different cultural setting. This is especially useful for students interested in using their experience to get university credit for their degree. This internship can help you accumulate working hours, provide you with hands-on work, and ensures you are supervised by a qualified professional.
To participate in this project, you must be a student studying social work or a related field.
Your Role at the Social Work Internship in Ghana
Our Social Work internship is designed to encourage you and the local staff to share your knowledge regarding the best practices and models needed to improve social work at various care facilities.
Your daily tasks will vary during your time in Ghana. Some days may see you in contact with children from abusive homes, or children sold as cheap labor. Other days may see you working on workshop material and presentations.
Here are some of the activities you can expect to get involved with:
- Raising awareness of social issues in local communities
- Assessing the conditions and needs of the children and people you work with
- Sharing of counseling and therapy methods with local staff to improve current practices
- Workshop and presentation preparation
- Assisting your supervisor
- Providing abused children with the care and attention they need
- Assisting with general tasks such feeding and playing educational games
Interning in Social Work in Ghana with Projects Abroad
Social work is less common in Ghana than in other African countries. Your knowledge, dedication, and skills will allow you to work with people that desperately need help, while also raising awareness in local communities. Throughout your internship, all of your work will be supervised by a qualified local professional.
If you are interested in this project, but are not studying social work or a related subject, please take a look at our standard Care Project in Ghana.