Conservation & Community in Madagascar for Teens
- Project Info
- What are High School Specials?
- Community Service Credit
- High School Specials Impact Report
- Placement location: Andasibe
- Types of placements: Biodiversity studies in the rainforest and renovation activities in the town
- Accommodation: Host Family
- Age Requirements: 16-19 years old
- Arrival Airport: Antananarivo (TNR)
- Local Languages: Malagasy & French
Volunteer in Madagascar on the Conservation & Community High School Special and spend part of your summer exploring a beautiful island and contributing to the local community. This program combines conservation work in a local national park with practical renovation work that will benefit the people living in Andasibe.
Madagascar is renowned for its rich environmental biodiversity and the lush rainforests that are home to one of the highest percentages of endemic species on the planet. The national park near Andasibe lacks resources, so your help is essential to ensuring that biodiversity and environmental impact studies and maintenance work is continued.
You will participate in several activities at the park:
- Working at an endangered plant nursery
- Removing alien plants
- Bird, amphibian, reptile, and lemur censuses
- Maintenance of park trails
- Creating materials for environmental awareness campaigns
You will also get to take part in conservation workshops with a local guide.
For the community aspect of the project, your group will focus on renovation work in Andasibe. This work could include any of the following:
- Giving walls a fresh coat of paint
- Painting educational murals at schools
- Setting up a playground
- Creating a vegetable garden
After a day of volunteering, you will go home to your host family where you will live for the duration of your trip. This is a great way to learn about the local culture firsthand In the evenings, our staff will also organize different social and cultural events, such as a games night, picnics, and dance classes.
We also arrange exciting weekend trips to Lake Rasoabe, the UNESCO site at Ambohimanga, and the capital Antananarivo, where you can explore the local markets and restaurants.