Human Rights in Ghana for Teens
- Project Info
- What are High School Specials?
- Community Service Credit
- High School Specials Impact Report
- Placement location: Accra
- Types of placements: Projects Abroad Human Rights Office
- Accommodation: Host Families
- Age Requirements: 15-18 years old
- Arrival Airport: Accra (ACC)
- Local Languages: English & Twi
For high school students with a passion for human rights and an interest in law, spending part of the summer in Ghana on our Human Rights program is the perfect opportunity. You will gain practical experience at the Projects Abroad Human Rights Office, while immersing yourself in the local culture and becoming part of the community.
* This trip offers an escorted flight available on select dates from New York - JFK.
Even though Ghana is one of the most developed and stable countries in Africa, many people face exploitation and abuse and are not even aware of their rights or how the law should protect them. As a Human Rights volunteer, you will work with our office to help educate communities about their rights, monitor vulnerable areas and communities to prevent abuses, and resolve human rights cases.
Along with the new practical skills you gain, you will also learn a lot from working alongside local and international human rights and legal experts and observing how Ghana’s political, legal and cultural systems impact in human rights.
In the evenings, you and the other volunteers will get to immerse yourself in the local way of life, with your host family and during social events in the local community. On weekends, our staff will arrange tours to Cape Coast and Kakum National Park, as well as many beautiful local beaches.