Volunteering for Science Teachers in Ethiopia
- POSITION: Science Teacher
- PLACEMENT LOCATION: Addis Ababa
- REQUIREMENTS: Full qualifications as a teacher
- ACCOMMODATION: Host family
- LENGTH OF PLACEMENT: From 2 weeks
- START DATES: Flexible
On this volunteer project for qualified teachers you can teach science to primary and secondary school children in Addis Ababa.
Hill Side Primary and Secondary School works with children from middle class families. They are looking to improve the standard of science teaching in Ethiopia. You can teach biology, chemistry, and physics to children of different ages. The aim is to make sure that children in Ethiopia receive a broad education.
Here you will find answers to the following questions:
How can I help?
You can use your knowledge and training to help local staff as a volunteer science teacher. You can work on tasks such as:
- Teaching science abroad with either a primary or secondary school children, depending on your experience, including tasks such as:
- Planning, preparing, and delivering lessons to a range of classes.
- Marking work, giving appropriate feedback, and maintaining records of pupils' progress and development.
- Supporting the work of teaching assistants, trainee teachers, and newly qualified teachers.
- Motivating pupils with enthusiastic, imaginative presentations.
- Working with existing staff to assess and improve current standards of teaching methodology and subject content
- Observing classes in order to assess existing teaching staff, offer advice and set goals for their development.
Hill Side is a private school for children aged 6-18. The school is split into a Primary with children aged 6-14 and a High school for children aged between 15 and 18.
The school was founded by a former teacher, Mrs. Saba Solomon. It has nearly 2000 pupils and 100 staff members. They need teachers with a passion for teaching science.
Volunteers are expected to work from Monday to Friday for around 6-8 hours per day.
This project runs all year round so you can join at any time. You decide how much time you can spare and we will help you get the most out of it.
What will I gain from this project?
You will get the chance to pass on your love of science to pupils of all ages. You will gain experience from teaching in an unfamiliar and challenging environment. You will also share knowledge with fellow staff members who will be eager to discuss things with you.
You will learn about Ethiopia’s culture and way of life through talking to pupils at the school. Staff and pupils will want to hear about your life back home and your family and friends. We call this "cultural exchange" and we think it helps our volunteers gain a new perspective on life.
What will Projects Abroad provide?
We have over 20 years’ experience of running volunteer projects. We provide you with the following support to make sure your time in Ethiopia is successful and enjoyable:
- Safe accommodation with an Ethiopian family close to your project.
- Friendly and dedicated local staff available to help 24 hours a day.
- A member of staff to meet you at the airport when you arrive.
- Medical and travel insurance.
What qualifications do I need?
If you are a qualified teacher then you are perfectly suited to this project.
If you are interested in this project but don’t have the relevant experience, then please read about our standard Teaching projects in Ethiopia.