Medical Project Coordinator - Samoa
Vacancy for: Medical Project Coordinator
Based: Apia, Samoa
How to apply: Use ‘Apply’ button on this page. Please do not send applications by email.
At Projects Abroad, we’re passionate about travelling with a purpose. We love travel, and we love making a positive difference in communities around the world. We have projects running in dozens of countries, where we send volunteers to help with anything from medicine and healthcare to education and conservation.
We don’t just dream about making a difference in the world. We do it every day.
We’re looking for an experienced professional in the Nursing or Public Health fields to help manage the Nutrition, Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy projects of Projects Abroad Samoa.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure that each new volunteer feels welcome and secure in his/her new environment
- Assist with lessons and translations
- Create volunteers’ weekly schedules
- Ensure placements are reminded of volunteer’s arrival
- Ensure that volunteer issues and concerns are dealt with efficiently
- Establish new work placements and projects for future volunteers and strengthen existing ones
- Organize and provide volunteers with materials according to the placement
- Develop strategies to ensure that placement activities are worthwhile for volunteers.
- Take volunteers to a hospital when ill.
- Conduct Nutrition Outreaches
- Liaise with Ministry of Health and National Health Services to ensure our volunteers meet the requirements to take part in nutrition and medical projects in Samoa
- Assist the director in daily activities of the running of Projects Abroad Samoa.
The job is busy and can be physically demanding so you should be prepared to work flexible hours and be willing to travel within Samoa when necessary.
- Be a Samoan citizen currently living in Samoa
- Hold a Bachelor's degree in Nursing, Public Health or any other medically related field
- Have at least 2 years' relevant experience
- Have a thorough knowledge of first aid and basic medical care
- Be fluent in English and Samoan, both spoken and written
- Be proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Internet
- Have strong interpersonal skills
- Have excellent organisational skills (event management skills ideal)
- Have the ability to take initiative, be proactive and autonomous
You will be hired under a permanent contract, after passing a three-month probationary period. An offer of employment depends on a personal interview and satisfactory references.
To apply, please complete the application form and upload:
- A two-page CV clearly outlining your relevant experience to this role
- A one-page cover letter, telling us why you’re perfect for this role