Volunteer Social Work in Vietnam for Professionals
A Projects Abroad volunteer social work project is perfect for experienced social workers on a career break or recent graduates looking for work experience. It is an opportunity for you to enhance your knowledge of the field and provide a much-needed service to communities where these services are limited.
As a social worker you will have the opportunity to help manage, implement, and evaluate orphanage programs in Vietnam. You will also be able to help train the local social workers and staff at an orphanage or work at a local NGO to help vulnerable people, such as drug addicts, prostitutes, or people with mental health problems.
Here you will find answers to the following questions:
How can volunteer social workers help in Vietnam?
You can use your knowledge, and training to help local staff deal with some of these problems. You will work on tasks such as:
- Running workshops to train local social workers at an NGO
- Discussing ways of changing or improving the implementation, management, and evaluation of the orphanage program
- Working with local staff to support drug addicts, prostitutes, or people with mental health problems at a local NGO
- Working at an orphanage to support underprivileged children
You will be expected to work Monday to Friday for around 4-8 hours per day. This may involve working with more than one institution. You will agree on the exact work schedule with your project supervisor on your first day.
This project runs all year and we are flexible about dates. You decide how much time you can spare and we will help you get the most out of it.
What will I gain from this project?
With only a few experienced social workers in Vietnam, your time on this project will be extremely valuable. You will have the opportunity to share your expertise and ideas and this placement will give you the experience of working with different children and adults in Vietnam.
Your time in Vietnam will be spent in local communities, learning about a different culture and way of life. The staff and children will want to hear about your life back home and your family and friends. We call this ‘cultural exchange’ and we think it helps our volunteers gain a new perspective on life.
What will Projects Abroad provide?
We have over 20 years’ experience of running volunteer projects. We provide you with the following support to make sure your time in Vietnam is successful, and enjoyable:
- Safe and friendly accommodation with other volunteers close to your placement.
- Friendly and dedicated local staff available to help 24 hours a day.
- A friendly member of staff available to meet you on arrival at the airport.
- Medical and travel insurance.
What skills or qualifications do I need?
If you have at least a degree in Social Work or a related subject and work experience then you are perfectly suited for this project.