Speech Therapy Internships in Tanzania
- Placement location: Dar es Salaam
- Role: To support local speech therapists at a clinic
- TYPES OF PLACEMENTS: Clinic
- Requirements: Interns must have completed at least one year of studies in speech therapy or a related field
- Accommodation: Host family
- Length of placement: From 4 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
In Tanzania, people affected by disabilities often struggle with daily life and receive very little support from their local communities. As a Speech Therapy intern with Projects Abroad, you can have a significant impact by helping children and adults improve their communication impairments and giving them increased confidence. This project is a great opportunity to enrich lives while adding valuable experience to your resume.
Interns who take part in this project will be placed at a clinic in Dar es Salaam. Here, interns work alongside qualified and experienced speech therapists. The Speech Therapy program at the clinic focuses on improving daily living skills of adults and children. You will be involved in various tasks, including helping to assess, diagnose, and treat people of all ages with speech, language, or swallowing difficulties. You will also assist with the development of individual treatment programs for different patients.
Raising awareness is a key part of the work at the clinic and the staff spends time teaching speech therapy techniques in the community as well as working on compensatory strategies with different patients and cases.
All Speech Therapy interns in Tanzania must have completed at least one year of studies in speech therapy or a related field by the time they join this project.
Interning Abroad as a Speech Therapist in Tanzania with Projects Abroad
This project requires interns to be patient, motivated, and compassionate. Although results may not be seen immediately, it is rewarding to see the gradual improvements in the patients abilities.
The Speech Therapy program comprises of:
- A detailed evaluation and designing a treatment plan with specific goals for each patient
- Teaching speech therapy exercises/techniques to overcome or remediate difficulties
- Monitoring patients’ improvements through progress reports
- Providing information regarding the progress to the family members and advising them on ways to improve communication skills outside the clinical setting
- Counsel family members on how to cope with the stress associated with these disorders
You can read more detailed information about the aims of the project in our Tanzania Medicine & Healthcare Management Plan.
While interning in Tanzania, you will stay with a local host family. During your free time, you will have the opportunity to meet other Projects Abroad volunteers and interns and explore the local area. If you want to take part in this project, but you are not sure if you qualify, please send us your resume.