Community Township Project for Volunteers over 50
- Placement locations: Lavender Hill township, Cape Town
- Types of placements: Community-based
- Role: Assisting with ongoing community projects and building work in the township
- Requirements: None
- Accommodation: Host Family
- Arrival Airport: Cape Town (CPT)
- Local Languages: English, Xhosa & Afrikaans
South Africa has developed rapidly in the past few decades and a flourishing tourism industry has driven growth in most major cities. However, many areas remain severely disadvantaged and problems such as unemployment, alcoholism, and domestic violence are prevalent, particularly in township areas. As a volunteer on Projects Abroad’s Township Community Project, you will work within one of these communities and work to improve the lives of those living there.
The project is based in Lavender Hill, a township in Cape Town. We have a number of initiatives running here and each is designed to benefit the local people long-term. Over the next few months, one of our biggest projects will be the construction of a multi-purpose community center, built using an eco-bag system and recycled materials.
During your time at the project, you can get involved with the following activities:
- Assisting with on-going building work (such as digging foundations, mixing cement, building walls and roofs, plastering, and painting)
- Helping with nutrition, which includes working in an organic garden and preparing meals for children
- Educating people about organic food production
- Teaching sports and running other physical activities and games
You do not need any previous experience to participate. All of our volunteers work under the supervision of a building manager, who will teach you everything you need to know.
Joining this program is a fantastic opportunity to actively contribute to people’s lives. It is also a chance for you to experience traveling with purpose and cultural exchange. You will live with a local host family, who will introduce you to daily life in Cape Town, and our staff will organize cultural and leisure activities for you in the evenings and over the weekend.