Professional Volunteering for Doctors in Bolivia
This volunteer medical project helps treat patients at various health clinics in Coachabamba.
These clinics are open to all people, regardless of social standing or wealth. They lack human and financial resources and need qualified doctors to help with the workload.
Here you will find answers to the following questions:
How can volunteer doctors help in Bolivia?
As a volunteer doctor you can use your knowledge and training to help local staff. You can work on tasks such as:
- Work with existing staff to treat patients, including:
- Diagnosing medical conditions and planning appropriate treatment.
- Observing surgeries where possible.
- Organizing preventative medical programs for individual patients.
- Providing advice on medical care and immunization etc.
- Assisting with medical outreach programs within Cochabamba
- Helping staff look at ways of improving their quality of service.
- Observing and assessing the work of local trainee doctors.
- Holding seminars and workshops at a local university.
- Running training clinics for Projects Abroad volunteers working with other hospitals (optional).
You will first be assigned to work with a supervisor who will help you as you adjust to life in Bolivia. Once you have settled in you will be able to work independently.
You can help at more than one institution if you want to. Your hours of work will be agreed when you arrive but most volunteers work around 6 hours a day, Monday to Friday.
This project runs all year round so you can join at any time. You decide how much time you can spare and we will help you get the most out of it.
What will I gain from this project?
You will gain experience of working with qualified professionals in a challenging environment. You will see treatments for diseases and injuries that are common to Bolivia but rare in your own country. You will also improve your Spanish language and communication skills through regular use.
What will Projects Abroad provide?
We have over 20 years’ experience of running volunteer projects. We provide you with the following support to make sure your time in Bolivia is successful and enjoyable:
- Safe accommodation with a Bolivian family close to your project.
- Friendly and dedicated local staff available to help 24 hours a day.
- A member of staff to meet you at the airport when you arrive.
- Medical and travel insurance.
What skills or qualifications do I need?
You need to be fully qualified as a doctor and have a relevant license to practice in your country of residence. You will also need to speak intermediate to advanced level Spanish.
Please contact us if you think your knowledge may be useful on this project but do not have the required qualifications.