International Development in Mexico followed by Law & Human Rights in South Africa
Intern at an NGO in Guadalajara, Mexico that focuses on supporting migrants, followed by a Law and Human rights internship in Cape Town, South Africa to promote awareness of immigrants’ and refugees’ rights. You will gain a truly global perspective as you work in these two diverse communities.
When to go:
October to December is ideal, during South African spring and Mexico's dry season, when it is warm and not very rainy.
Spend 5 weeks on each project.
Our Human Rights project in Mexico is located in Guadalajara, a city known for colonial architecture and mariachi music. The work of the NGO here relates to immigration and providing support to vulnerable groups by:
- providing food, clothes, and shelter
- supporting shelters established for migrants
- interviewing clients, collecting data, and getting statements about human rights violations that have taken place since arriving in Mexico
The Human Rights project in South Africa fights human rights abuses in marginalized communities in Cape Town. Working with our own Human Rights office (fully funded and operated by Projects Abroad), you will work alongside trained professionals and local organizations, particularly on building community awareness.
You actual itinerary will vary depending on the specific projects that are being handled at the time, but an average day at the office involves:
- doing research
- conducting interviews
- providing legal advice for refugees or victims of human rights abuses
- meeting with other human rights organizations throughout Cape Town
- attending informal lectures by the human rights supervisor
Additional costs include flights and visas where applicable. Read more about what's included on our Prices page.
*Explanation of pricing: When you sign up for projects in two or more countries, you will get 10% off each program fee (except for Language Courses and Add-Ons)
For more information about the pricing for this project and other combined projects, check out our combination pricing page.