Volunteer Coordinator - Madagascar
Vacancy for: Volunteer Coordinator
Based: Andasibe, Madagascar
How to apply: Use ‘Apply’ button on this page. Please do not send applications by email.
At Projects Abroad, we’re passionate about travelling with a purpose. We love travel, and we love making a positive difference in communities around the world. We run projects in dozens of countries, where we send volunteers to help with anything from medicine and healthcare to education and conservation.
We don’t just dream about making a difference in the world. We do it every day.
We're looking for a Volunteer Coordinator to assist the volunteer’s integration into the country. He/she will be responsible for managing all volunteers and developing projects with the direction of the Country Director. Their main role is to be a frontline liaison with volunteers, helping them out in tackling culture shock. Flexibility is the key to this role. The nature of the position entails frequent, timely and effective communication with volunteers and local staff members. The job is busy and can be physically demanding so you should be prepared to work flexible hours and be willing to travel within Madagascar when necessary.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure that the volunteer is comfortable during their time in Madagascar.
- Meet volunteers on arrival and conduct thorough a cultural orientation and an induction of their accommodation and their placement.
- Make sure that the volunteers know the places and how to travel without assistance during the following days.
- Educate the volunteers on the worthwhileness of their project.
- Maintain effective communication with the volunteers, placements and staff.
- Ensure that volunteer issues and concerns are dealt with efficiently.
- Keep senior staff members informed of all volunteer issues and development.
- Ensure that accurate and up-to-date information on projects, placements and volunteers are uploaded in the appropriate databases.
- Manage timely execution of monitoring: engage in an in depth discussion with the volunteers.
- Emergency standby.
- Take part in weekly meetings.
- Take volunteers to the hospital when they are ill.
- Occasionally assist with the management of outreach programs.
- Occasionally help to move volunteers.
- Support volunteers in their day-to-day tasks on projects that are fully run by Projects Abroad, by being present and by leading the activities.
- Provide cover for colleagues when they are on leave.
- Office administrative work: monitor and track the progress being made towards project goals and share on a monthly report
- Any other duties assigned by Country Director / Operations Manager
- Be a Malagasy citizen.
- Have a degree in Social work, Early Childhood studies, Teaching, Conservation or related fields (preferable but not required)
- Have excellent communication skills in English and Malagasy.
- Have experience working with a culturally diverse population.
- Be passionate about working with children and interested in the environment
- Be proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and internet.
- Be flexible and a team player.
- Have excellent customer service, interpersonal and risk management skills.
- Be able to work under pressure, meet short deadlines and multi-task.
- Have excellent organizational skills.
You will be employed on a 6-month contract, subject to a three-month probationary period. An offer of employment is dependent upon receipt of satisfactory references and personal interview.
The exact salary depends upon your experience and will be discussed with you during one of the interviews.
Please complete the application form and provide the following:
- A cover letter, telling us why you’re perfect for this role.
- Your CV, clearly outlining the experience or training relevant to this role.