Volunteer Coordinator - Global Summer Programmes
Vacancy for: Volunteer Coordinator - Summer Programmes
Location: based in one of Projects Abroad’s overseas offices – Opportunities include Cambodia, Sri Lanka and Nepal.
How to Apply: Please use "Apply" button on this page. Do not send applications by email.
Projects Abroad rests on the work of our Volunteer Coordinators to ensure our volunteers have the best experience possible during their stay in one of our destinations. During our Summer Programmes, thousands of young volunteers from around the world have their first live/work abroad experience and we recruit extra help to assist with logistics and support in our busiest destinations. Working alongside our team of local staff, these short-term Coordinators become the face and hands of Projects Abroad in making sure each new arrival feels welcome and secure in their new environment.
As a Volunteer Coordinator, you will:
- Help maintain effective communication between the destination office, the volunteers and our overseas offices.
- Assist in preparing all aspects of arrangements for volunteers before they arrive in- country.
- Conduct inductions with new volunteers to introduce them to their new community and help them settle in.
- Design schedules for group trips and ensure these schedules are followed.
- Provide advice and encouragement to volunteers, many of whom have not travelled overseas before.
- Keep up to date, clear and concise records of volunteer activities, interactions and relevant details.
- Coordinate resources with the local staff in destination.
- Oversee the safety and well-being of volunteers in accordance to Projects Abroad standards.
- Work effectively and supportively in a team of local and foreign staff
The job is busy, will involve some out-of-office hours work and can be physically demanding. You should be prepared to be on call any day during your time overseas.
You should be:
- Fluent in English, both spoken and written
- Physically fit
- Computer literate
- Mature in attitude and outlook
- Able to remain calm and efficient under pressure
- An excellent communicator with people of all ages and cultures
- A team player who enjoys working as part of a team, you should delegate work appropriately and fairly amongst other staff
- Flexible and able to take direction and accept feedback
- Able to communicate across a range of cultures
- Patient and adaptable
- Proactive and resourceful
- Friendly and personable, with customer service skills, you must respond well to others
- Enthusiastic to work in a different culture and relish the opportunity to work in a challenging environment
- A University graduate (preferable but not required)
Additional languages, especially French, Spanish, German, Japanese or Mandarin will be an advantage.
The successful candidates will be employed on a short-term contract, between 4 weeks and 4 months. Please specify your availability in the application form.
You will be assigned to a destination matching your skills and experience, at the end of your recruitment process. Please state your preference in the application.
An offer of employment is dependent upon receipt of satisfactory references, a criminal record check and a successful personal interview.
Salary and Benefits
Projects Abroad pays a good local salary, international flights, travel and health insurance, board and lodging as well as agreed day-to-day work-related expenses.
- Complete the online application form by making sure you fill out all required fields. (If any of them is not applicable, please state NA).
- Upload a 2-page CV and a Cover Letter (Highlighting how your skills and experience meet the specification - one page maximum)
If you are a shortlisted candidate, you will be invited to attend a Skype interview with our Human Resources Recruiter. Successful candidates will then be invited to a second interview. Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.