Project Coordinator and Field Scientist - Belize
Vacancy for: Project Coordinator and Field Scientist
How to apply: Use ‘Apply’ button on this page. Please do not send applications by email.
At Projects Abroad, we’re passionate about travelling with a purpose. We love travel, and we love making a positive difference in communities around the world. We have projects running in dozens of countries, where we send volunteers to help in anything from medicine and healthcare to education and conservation.
We don’t just dream about making a difference in the world. We do it every day.
We are looking for a Project Coordinator with a scientific background to help run the Conservation project in Placencia. You should be willing to relocate to the island permanently.
The main objective of this position is to manage the assigned project area, ensuring that activities and calendars for volunteers are clearly worked out, volunteers understand their roles and responsibilities, work with placements to a high level of professionalism and ensure project quality. You will also assist the conservation manager in leading dives during field work, guiding volunteers on data entry, and in developing reports.
Duties and Responsibilities of the role
- Meet volunteers and conduct a thorough induction/orientation about their placement and ensure that they receive all necessary training and support during their placement
- Ensure that each new volunteer feels welcome and secure in their new environment
- Ensure all volunteers have a set timetable for their placements before they arrive
- Run monthly workshops. Be proactive on proposing ideas for workshops.
- Plan and Manage outreaches. Develop and monitor worthwhile campaigns when necessary
- Maintain effective communication between volunteers and the local office, helping to increase the worthwhileness of our projects for our local partners and the volunteers
- Get to know and build a good relationship with each volunteer. Ensure you listen and respond positively to questions and queries they may have
- Establish new work placements and projects for future volunteers and strengthen existing ones
- Organise and provide volunteers with materials required for their placement
- Develop strategies to ensure that placement activities are worthwhile for volunteers
- Deal with problems and complaints as they arrive. Resolve any issues that may arise with volunteers and escalate to Conservation Manager and Country Director where necessary
- Provide advice to all volunteers on medical and health issues where necessary
- Ensure that accurate and up-to-date information on projects are uploaded in internal database
- Be available for emergencies 24 hours a day
- Frequent monitoring and evaluation of projects to ensure program quality and satisfaction (volunteer and placement)
- Manage monthly budget for project related activities
- Assist Conservation Manager in dives for marine data collection and be prepared to lead dives if conservation manager is unavailable
- Assist volunteers in data entry and reporting of the data collected in the field
- Belizean nationals only
- Bachelor’s degree in National Resource Management, Biology (preferably with a marine orientation) or Tourism
- Open Water Diving Certification + 1 year’s field experience (Advanced Open Water or Dive Master Certifications would be ideal but not a requirement)
- Experience working with culturally diverse population
- Proven ability to plan and execute projects for a culturally diverse group as well as community interventions and partnership building among stakeholders at all levels
- Experience in project development and management
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and internet
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Meet short deadlines and multi-task
This is a permanent position. You will be offered a permanent contract upon completion of a three-month probation period.
To apply: please complete the online application form and upload a CV and cover letter in one combined file.